Friday, February 25, 2011

A birth story

I can't believe 2 years ago I was waiting for little Bella to be born thinking that it would never happen! This is our birth story.. although I should have told this story a long time ago*.



The last week of my pregnancy my blood sugars were going crazy (I had gestational diabetes, not fun!!) so they decided to induce us on 2/26 which was the day before my due date.. and was also my sister's birthday. They asked us to call in the morning to check in and see what time they wanted us to come in. Much to our dismay, they said that a billion ladies decided to go into labor and that it had been a really busy night and to call back in a few more hours. Oh the anticipation! But about an hour later they called and told us to head on up.

By noon they had everything started and we were on our way. I held out as long as I could for an epidural (holy pain!.. not the epidural but the pains of labor) but finally gave in. Seriously I was in heaven. I have lots of respect for the crazy gals that go sans epidural. There.is.no.way.

Everything was going good except that I just wasn't dilating (this is as graphic as I'll go just for your sake). Plus Bella's heart rate kept dropping. They kept having me switch sides thinking that her umbilical cord could be squished. Fast forward 10 hours.. long hours for daddy.. short hours for mommy.. My nurse (who was AMAZING by the way) told me that my Dr was on the way and to be prepared for a C-section. All through out my pregnancy I always envisioned that I'd have a C-section.. not sure why! They had me drink that disgustingly sweet anti-nausea stuff and as soon as my Dr got there we were on our way to the operating room.

I'll save you all the gory details but everything went great and at 10:18 PM a healthy baby girl was born weighing in at 6 pounds 3 ounces and measuring 20" long.

It turns out the Bella was posterior (face up instead of facing down like she was supposed to be) so she was wedged in an awkward position. And that's why my labor pains were so terrible although I think it's safe to say that they are never wonderful feeling.

All the blood, sweat and tears of my pregnancy and of labor was worth it for this little gal. She is such a blessing!







*Due to the time frame.. this story may be a little exaggerated or made up where my memory fails me..

1 comment:

Clemments Family said...

I love it! So glad you posted it. This sounds exactly like my first labor with Jax. It was long, very long! But Bella is here and she is beautiful.